Should Fedora become upstream for "chess"

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Nov 14 22:49:31 UTC 2009

"chess" is a 3d chess game that is more or less a demo for the ogre library.
It's developer declared it finished a while back and things have since
moved on. (Particularly with ogre updates.)

I had to look at the package in order to make sure it would work with an
updated ois and found lots of cruft. So while it can be fixed to work as
poorly with ois 1.2 as it does with ois 1.0, it could really use some
more comprehensive attention.

My opinion is that either Fedora should become upstream (after double checking
with the original developer) for chess or it should drop it.

What I think needs to be done is update at least some of the meshes for
ogre 1.6.

Currently during the build process some files have an ogre 1.4 version, but
aren't used. This should be changed so that just 1.6 versions remain.

The ogre references should all use the Ogre name space. (At least for the
Vector3 class this needs to be done to work with ois 1.2.)

The compiler warnings should be looked at to see if they are real problems
and fixed if necessary. (Even some unnecessary fixes that silence the warnings
may be desireable.)

It looks like it tries to use some fonts that were stripped out and fallback
to something else isn't happening.

A start up script that checks for 3d availablity should be part of the
package.

I don't think there is currently a way to change the orge.cfg file (which
specifies some OpenGL configuration) once it has been set up. There may be
some way to access this again from inside chess, but with the fonts not
appearing to work, I can't tell what options are available.

What do other people think?