A new free 2D Game Development Platform: BennuGD

Oscar Torrente q2dg at yahoo.es
Wed Nov 18 13:26:25 UTC 2009

Hello

I´m writing this email to introduce you a very interesting GPL 2D videogame programming language, called BennuGD (http://www.bennugd.org).

The strong point of Bennu is that, in very few lines, you can write a ping-pong, a pac-man, a "space invaders", a shooter, a platform game ... It consists of a sort of commands like "put_screen()" to draw a background, or "advance()" to move a certain picture on the screen in any direction,etc. Programming internally is based on concurrent processes, but for Bennu developer it doesn´t matter: he will use mostly a kind of wellknown structured programming style. There is no default editor or any visual environment: Bennu is composed of command line tools. In fact, Bennu consists of a compiler and an interpreter plus some static libraries. It is based on C and SDL. Other dependencies are SDL_mixer, Libpng and Zlib. It can also be extended by external libraries programmed in C; for instance, you can use a 3D library called Bennu3D, based on Irrlicht and Bullet, or a network library called Fsock, and so on.

The official website is (i´ve mentioned before) http://www.bennugd.org. There you can download Bennu and more related software and libraries, documentation (including a wiki), etc . Right now Bennu is on Release Candidate, I don´t know when the final version will get off , but I can say that today Bennu is already solid as a rock. If you try to install it, you will see that the installer for Linux is a simple shell script that copies to some specific folders (/usr/bin/bgd and /usr/lib/ bgd) the files needed for run (which are packed inside the shell script).The installer has also an uninstall option, which makes simply delete the files. Very easy. You can also see the source code as Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bennugd . There´s also a strong (spanish-speaking) community (of which I belong, but I'm not part of the development team) that can be found at http://forum.bennugd.org

I hope this information has been of your interest.
Thank you very much for your attention.
Bye.