[Fedora-i18n-list] Test feedback (GIMLET)

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Mon Apr 5 18:21:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:39:20 +0900
Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:

>     Pete> Perhaps I miss a font somewhere. Please refer to
>     Pete> the attached screenshots [..].  You might notice
>     Pete> that one of them shows an outline of the applet
>     Pete> (empty).  It only appears if mouse cursor moves
>     Pete> into it, otherwise it completely blends into the
>     Pete> panel.

> I'd be surprised if you're missing a font for this, but what
> fonts do you have installed?

I installed everything remotely font-like, here's the list:

[zaitcev at niphredil zaitcev]$ rpm -qa '*[Ff]ont*'
fontconfig-2.2.1-6.1
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-55
XFree86-syriac-fonts-4.3.0-42
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-9
chkfontpath-1.9.10-2
bitstream-vera-fonts-1.10-2
bitmap-fonts-0.3-2
fontconfig-devel-2.2.1-6.1
bitmap-fonts-cjk-0.3-2
fonts-KOI8-R-100dpi-1.0-5
fonts-ja-8.0-9
XFree86-base-fonts-4.3.0-55
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-55
XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.3.0-55
urw-fonts-2.1-5.1
ttfonts-ja-1.2-29
fonts-KOI8-R-1.0-5
XFree86-font-utils-4.3.0-55
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/zaitcev
[zaitcev at niphredil zaitcev]$

> I found a way to make the applet go blank though: closing a
> different window while in Japanese (kana) mode causes the
> applet to go blank for me.  I wonder if this is related?

I suspect we are entering an area where a more developer-oriented
feedback might be useful. I cringe every time when people follow
a blackbox approach to kernel failures when a simple look at the
code would explain them. The difficulty in this case is that the
userland is hideously complex. I am willing to look at this in
better detail, but I need a mentor. Do you know a GNOME hacker
who would be willing to guide me?

Thanks,
-- Pete