[Fedora-i18n-list] Re: xprint and firefox

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Dec 10 08:14:47 UTC 2004

John Francis Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have FC3 installed and have downloaded and installed
>  xprint-2004-07-07-release_009_001-0.9.001.i386.rpm
>
> My object is to get firefox to print Thai webpages correctly.
>
> When I try to print to my ricoh 1600 using ricoh@:33 firefox takes more
> than a minute to format the page, the printer blinks and processes the
> results, but no paper comes out of the printer and it returns to state
> "ready". Thai or English.
>
> If I print to file and examine the results with ggv I can see the page
> more or less correctly rendered. For some reason the navigation buttons
> from the top of the page are one this fist page by themselves and the
> rest of the page is on succeeding pages. If I try to print the page from
> ggv I get the same result as with firefox itself.
>
> If I use the default PostScript/ricoh printer, Thai characters are
> rendered as little boxes.
>
> I have no trouble printing from evolution, openoffice, gedit, or other
> programs, in THai or in English.
>
> Does anyone understand what's wrong?
>
> How else might I print Thai webpages if xprint cannot be made to work on
> redhat?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

My understanding is that xprint was explicitly disabled in FC3
mozilla/firefox/thunderbird because we consider xprint to be a "legacy"
library that we want to get rid of.  If this caused problems for Thai
printing, this is an unfortunate side effect.

I wonder if running in PANGO mode would make a difference here.  Anyone
else have any thoughts?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com