[Fedora-i18n-list] Re: Japanese input _almost_ working in English FC2 (KDE)

Daniel S.K. Yek 叶盛刚 danieyek at alumni.washington.edu
Fri Jul 2 03:41:48 UTC 2004

>   # /usr/sbin/htt_server -d

I'm glad to know the above command and the debug switch. Thanks.

James, I apologize to intercept the thread on Japanese input. Below is
Chinese input, but the problem is not a lot different - I think.

I have IIIMF and the GNOME desktop; I enjoy the ability to read Chinese
characters in my emails and see them in many applications. That is
good...Super.

However, I am not thrilled with IIIMF yet, because I cannot use it
effectively. With the debug message, I can identify several occasions
where the conversion mode is toggled off:

        Toggle client conversion mode to false.

When using gedit, every time I type a space character, the conversion
mode turns off by itself. CTRL-Space also turned off the conversion
mode. There might be more situation where the conversion mode is turned
off.

Once the conversion mode is turned off, it cannot be turned on
conveniently - CTRL-Space definitely doesn't work. Gimlet is as buggy as
it can be at this point. When the space character turned conversion mode
off, it reduced to a small button without a label on it. Clicking on it,
I found that "English" is checked.

The only way I can turn the conversion mode on is by clicking on Gimlet
and choose "Simplified Chinese". Right-click in gedit and from the
context menu choose Input Methods/Internet-Intranet Input Method doesn't
turn the conversion mode on - Gimlet displays a empty label.

Switching between application windows, Gimlet may sometimes display 英文,
that is "English" in Chinese characters. Clicking on Gimlet shows that
Simplified Chinese in checked, not "English" as displayed. The
conversion mode was not turned on - there is no way to turn it on until
you go through the clicking process to check Simplified Chinese again.

Too often conversion mode is turned off unintentionally and one needs to
start all over again to turn it on. That discounted my experience with
IIIMF a lot.

There are several other problems:
I couldn't switch between Simplified Chinese input method anymore. I did
it once or twice with CTRL-ALT-4 awkwardly, when FC2 was first released,
but it doesn't seem to work anymore.
I gave up adding Traditional Chinese to the list - Gimlet crashed and
randomly changed its menu one or two times too often. I added
Traditional Chinese, a crash (I forgot if I killed it because it simply
wasn't behaving) will take it out.
I have no idea what ASCII mode is. Why it just suddenly appeared in the
menu and I think I lost "English", for a while. It didn't work to input
ASCII too.

Although, I provided a list of problems, I can see that a lot of the
mechanism are already there. A few polishing in UI components might
solve most of the problems I am experiencing.

Thank you all for advancing the International support on Linux!

Pls.: Is there a guide on this version of Chinese input methods? I'm not
very good at any Chinese input method, but I learned a little of two
input methods before. I just need to learn it/them more comprehensively.
Even a database of what keystrokes yield what character(s) will be a
good reference for me. Thanks.