[Fedora-i18n-list] locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory

Akira TAGOH tagoh at redhat.com
Sun Jul 25 12:17:27 UTC 2004

Hi Johan,

JH> Hi !
JH> On my Fedora C1-server I suddenly experience problems running programs,
JH> ie yum :
JH> ..
JH>  [root at notes en_US]# yum
JH> Traceback (most recent call last):
JH>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 30, in ?
JH>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
JH>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 159, in main
JH>     locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
JH>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/locale.py", line 381, in setlocale
JH>     return _setlocale(category, locale)
JH> locale.Error: locale setting not supported
JH> ..

JH> When checking my locale settings they are unchanged from my systems
JH> default - /etc/sysconfig/i18n :
JH> ..
JH> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
JH> SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
JH> SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
JH> ..

JH> I get these errormessages running "locale" :
JH> ..
JH> [root at notes en_US]# locale
JH> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
JH> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
JH> directory
JH> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

It looks like your locale data is broken. you need to know
what current locale is, but anyway. please try printenv |
egrep '(LC_*|LANG)'. if you see only LANG=en_US.UTF-8 on
that, it means your /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive is broken
somehow. otherwise you need to specify correct one for the
locale.

if locale-archive is broken unfortunately, you need to run
localedef or reinstall glibc-common.

# localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8

Regards,
--
Akira TAGOH