[Fedora-i18n-list] Re: Poor Quality of Japanese Conversion

morpheus morpheus at post.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 8 22:02:40 UTC 2004

Thanks for the detailed response.  Most of the problems with text
decoration happen in GAIM, however I am using 0.77 so I'll update and
try again.  However I also have the same problem in Evolution.  There is
no text decoration at all, so I can't tell what is the pre-edit string
and what is the current position.
I notice that once I correct the dictionary the first time, it does
remember the next time.  It would be nice, however, to have the
dictionary pre-loaded with frequency data so that I don't have to
correct every word that I use for the first time.
Finally, I still occasionally have a problem when I am editing a
document and switching back and forth from IIIM to English input,
eventually in IIIM it will not convert to Japanese anymore.  It will
only convert to romaji.  For example, normally in IIIM, if you type:
konnshuu
You get hiragana こんしゅう and then you can convert to Kanji.  However, when
this bug happens, instead of getting hiragana こんしゅう, I get romaji:
konnshuu
When I try to convert it (press space) I get three conversion candidates
in the 候補選択 window:
1 konnshuu
2 konnshuu
3 konnshuu
This happens in all applications.  I'm not sure what triggers it, but it
only happens after I've been switching back and forth a lot.  Is this a
known bug and is there a fix?

Installed Versions:
iiimf-le-canna-11.4-60
iiimf-docs-11.4-60