[Fedora-i18n-list] Re: Poor Quality of Japanese Conversion

Akira TAGOH tagoh at redhat.com
Thu Sep 9 06:19:56 UTC 2004

>>>>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:02:40 -0400,
>>>>> "morpheus" == morpheus <morpheus at post.harvard.edu> wrote:

morpheus> Thanks for the detailed response.  Most of the problems with text
morpheus> decoration happen in GAIM, however I am using 0.77 so I'll update and
morpheus> try again.  However I also have the same problem in Evolution.  There is
morpheus> no text decoration at all, so I can't tell what is the pre-edit string
morpheus> and what is the current position.

ah, well, it should be fixed in the latest version (at
least. well, I'm not sure which version was fixed in,
though) you can also try to upgrade evolution and related
packages.

morpheus> I notice that once I correct the dictionary the first time, it does
morpheus> remember the next time.  It would be nice, however, to have the
morpheus> dictionary pre-loaded with frequency data so that I don't have to
morpheus> correct every word that I use for the first time.

Well, basically it did. but it breaks when
upgrading. although there is the way to avoid/improve this
problem, when the dictionaries will be imcompatible, the
frequency data (.cld file) won't work then. but it's better
than nothing anyway. let me try to improve it then.

morpheus> Finally, I still occasionally have a problem when I am editing a
morpheus> document and switching back and forth from IIIM to English input,
morpheus> eventually in IIIM it will not convert to Japanese anymore.  It will
morpheus> only convert to romaji.  For example, normally in IIIM, if you type:
morpheus> konnshuu
morpheus> You get hiragana こんしゅう and then you can convert to Kanji.  However, when
morpheus> this bug happens, instead of getting hiragana こんしゅう, I get romaji:
morpheus> konnshuu
morpheus> When I try to convert it (press space) I get three conversion candidates
morpheus> in the 候補選択 window:
morpheus> 1 konnshuu
morpheus> 2 konnshuu
morpheus> 3 konnshuu
morpheus> This happens in all applications.  I'm not sure what triggers it, but it
morpheus> only happens after I've been switching back and forth a lot.  Is this a
morpheus> known bug and is there a fix?

Hmm, well, I experienced similar problem too. but I'm still
not sure how to reproduce that bug. if you see the
reproducible way, please file a bug to bugzilla.

--
Akira TAGOH