[Fedora-i18n-list] proposal for a CJK font package submission

fangq at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu fangq at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 10 03:27:56 UTC 2005

hi

sorry for intrusion. let me introduce myself first, my name is Qianqian
Fang, one of the Fedora Core users and open-source software developers.

As you may know (or maybe not), Chinese/Japanese/Korean (CJK) support
under Linux is always a pain in the neck and I have heard enough complains
about it for almost all Linux distributions. One of the major difficulties
is that there is not a single "good" open-source Chinese font available:
there are open-source True-type CJK fonts, but they have no bitmap font
embeded as in commertial CJK fonts, the screen rendering of these fonts
are so blurred and make it difficult to read.

I (and my team) have been working on a CJK font project since last
October, after months of hard working (our work is also based on many
other previous works), we have developed bitmap fonts covered complete CJK
Unified Ideographics (20,902 characters at 4 pixel sizes and two weights,
making about 180,000 glyphs). We just announced our second release. This
font is extremely easy to install and use, we provided both BDF/PCF
versions. The font is developed by thousands of contributors at our wiki
website (http://wqy.sf.net/en/ ) and is licensed under GPL. We are
currently working on Unicode CJK extension A as well as open-source
outline CJK fonts.

I am curious if it is possible to submit this font package to Fedora
development team for review (I don't know if this is the official way to
do that or not), and for consideration of including it into your
distribution. This could make CJK users' lives much easier.

The latest version of this font can be downloaded from sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128192&package_id=156288

thank you.

Qianqian