[Fedora-i18n-list] Kanji recognition

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Feb 25 15:25:10 UTC 2005

Madison Kelly wrote:
> What I am looking for now, and I
> hope this isn't off topic for this list, is a tool like my roommate has
> on her WinXP machine where I can free-draw a kanji character and the
> program tries to match it and provide a list of options (and if I am
> really lucky has the pronunciation and meaning).

Such free software exists but it is not included in Fedora currently.

   eg <http://fishsoup.net/software/kanjipad/>

would probably be nice to add to Extras.

>   As an aside, I have also been trying to find a way to make Japanese
> the default input method in iiimf. Gimlet currently defaults to English
> but seeing as I can toggle between kana/kanji and romanji with
> <ctrl>+<space> I'd rather leave it as Japanese.

I'm planning to improve this in a future version.  In the meantime
for the current session you can change the way new apps choose their
language with the gnome-im-properties utility.

Jens