[Fedora-i18n-list] what is encoding for certain locale ... how in general to determine it

joseph speigle joe.speigle at jklh.us
Tue Jan 25 12:24:51 UTC 2005

Hi, i need some help from more experienced people.
I am inputting hangul with iimf.
my environemtn sets LANG=ko_KR.UTF-8
[joe at www joe]$ rpm -qa | grep iimf
iiimf-emacs-11.4-60
iiimf-client-lib-11.4-60
iiimf-le-hangul-11.4-60
iiimf-protocol-lib-11.4-60
iiimf-client-lib-devel-11.4-60
iiimf-le-canna-11.4-60
iiimf-protocol-lib-devel-11.4-60
iiimf-server-11.4-60
iiimf-gtk-11.4-60
iiimf-le-unit-11.4-60
iiimf-csconv-11.4-60
iiimf-le-newpy-11.4-60
iiimf-docs-11.4-60
iiimf-x-11.4-60

[joe at www joe]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)
[joe at www joe]$

however, if i type a c++ file with some strings in C++ my postgres refuses to accept some of its characters with the if I set the client_encoding to EUC_KR, but if I set client_encoding to UTF8 it matches incorrectly.
it is not matching in the database.  for some reaons.
I want to learn how to discover what encoding I have by looking at the hex dump of my file.

For a shortcut, is iimf inputting my stuff in UTF-8 or EUC_KR?  the locale says UTF-8 is this true?

where is there a reference in the net where I can look at the hex sequences of differnt encodings?  like, a master sheet?

Also, is there a reliable tool/library for determining encodings.  I look now at mozilla's encoding deterctor but I don't know if the library is separable from the source tree.

any input welcome!!!!

thanks for your time.

joe

if you're christian, god bless; otherwise, good luck; and, if you dont believe in luck ...