[Fedora-i18n-list] Using Dhivehi Fonts

Skywalker anakin at freemasonry.org
Tue Jul 5 20:01:22 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

Its been over a few days I've been using linux. I have been looking for ways
to use 'dhivehi' font in Fedora Core 3. Dhivehi is a language used in the
Maldives and can be written from right-to-left, much like arabic with strokes
below and above the letters.

Since this language was not included in the keyboard layouts during initial
installations, I was wondering whether there's a way to submit the keyboard
map for this language. In spite of the fact that I am not a developer, I
would very much like to see this language added to fedora core products along
with other languages like Hindu, Tamil and Singhalese.

Before I go on I would like to give you a brief overview of how this language
looks like and how it ought to work in the righ-to-left cursor context.

For instance, the word 'sa', if pronounced and written in dhivehi, the text
would be typed (supposing the cursor now moves from right-to-left):

                                           "[|]as"

where, the cursor is indicated in square brackets. The 'a' is a stroke that
will appear on top of the Dhivehi letter equivalent of 's'.

My request here is to see whether if there is a way to develop the keyboard
layout for this language, and if it needs any participation, I would be more
eager than spread the message around to Maldivian Linux Users.

Since this language uses similar contextual properties found in Dhivehi, I was
wondering how easy or difficult it would be to create this keyboard layout.

Please find further resources about 'thaana' (script name for dhivehi
language) here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wjsn/dhivehi.htm
http://www.mitf.net/index.php/news/news0300x.html

Kind Regards