[Fedora-i18n-list] How can I enter Polytonic Greek in FC4?

Schlaegel 777tahder at schlaegel.com
Thu Sep 22 05:50:07 UTC 2005

I'm using Gnome and would like to enter Greek into Open Office.
Earlier I asked this on the Fedora list and got no replies. I believe
this list is more specific to my question, and hopefully with generate
some answers.

I installed a few polytonic Greek fonts (Aristarcoj, Code200, MgOpen, Tahoma).
With these fonts I can view polytonic Greek in Firefox, and copy
polytonic Greek from FireFox into Open Office.

I made a failed attempt at entering polytonic Greek by adding the
"Keyboard Indicator" to the panel, then adding "Greek Polytonic" to
the available keyboard layouts. When I selected "Greek Polytonic" as
the input group I couldn't figure out any way to type breathings or
any accent but acute (uses the semi-colon key). I noticed that the
Keyboard Preferences dialog has a small graphic of the keyboard
layout, but the graphic is too small to find the breathings and
accents.

Is there a correct way to enter polytonic Greek?

Is there a way to get a printout of the current keyboard layout?

What keys map to regular breathing, rough breathing, iota subscript,
grace accent, and circumflex accent?

PS.
I love the way OSX does the dead-keys; it draws the character without
advancing the cursor.