[Fedora-i18n-list] Numeric values

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at farsiweb.info
Sat Jul 29 12:53:55 UTC 2006

روز چهارشنبه، 2006-07-26 ساعت 03:24 +0800، Abel Cheung نوشت:
> On 7/12/06, Florian Festi <ffesti at redhat.com> wrote:
> > To reduce to number of messages I'd like to merge string that only
> > differ by the numeric values to some thing like "%s DPI", "Tray %s",
> > "%sx%sin. %sx%smm".
> >
> > Are there any special issues I have to take care of. Do numbers need to
> > be translated into something else than [0-9]* in some languages and if
> > so is this done automatically by sprintf if LC_NUMERIC is set?
>
> AFAIK a few languages, especially Persian, may want to take
> advantage of it. However it's better to ask people speaking
> Persian directly though.

Yes, numbers need to be translated. Only Persian uses that currently,
but I expect the number of such languages to grow. Urdu, Pashto, and
some of the Arabic locales are candidates.

In Persian, we localize some, but not all of the "%d" and such markup to
"%Id" and such. Sometimes it gets more complicated, like the case of
messages like "%2d" and "%02d", as glibc counts bytes and not
characters.

Not merging the messages is better for Persian localizers, but if you
insist, tell me the exact problem that you are trying to fix and I may
be able to help more.

Roozbeh