installing more fonts by default for better international coverage

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan at randomink.org
Wed Aug 22 05:20:13 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:

> In the recent online I18n session at FUDConF8 there was some discussion
> of installation defaults related to international language support, and
> it was suggested that we should be installing more fonts by default to
> get better desktop language display coverage out of the box.

Might be a good idea. Given that spinning out Fedora is now relatively
easier, those with a predefined font content set might be well placed
to yum remove in %post perhaps. The only thing I see is that the
installation payload increases - given the trade off with aesthetics
that might not be too bad. Any pointers as to the payload quantum
increase ?

> So I would like to propose we start installing the following fonts by
> default on the desktop:
>
> fonts-ISO8859-2, fonts-KOI8-R, fonts-arabic, fonts-chinese,
> fonts-hebrew, fonts-indic, fonts-japanese, fonts-korean, fonts-sinhala,
> and xorg-x11-fonts.

Nice.

> I believe the mainstream commercial desktop OS's already do this.

Some "other" Linux OSs do this too :)

> dejavu-fonts and dejavu-fonts-experimental also occur in quite a few
> language groups, so they might be worth including too?

That's an overkill right ?

:Sankarshan