installing more fonts by default for better international coverage

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Aug 22 20:09:50 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 22 août 2007 à 10:50 +0530, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay a
écrit :

> > dejavu-fonts and dejavu-fonts-experimental also occur in quite a few
> > language groups, so they might be worth including too?

I'd rather wait till they get a farsi-friendly arabic variant now that
Behdad added locl support to Pango (unless the pango support is good
enough to ignore glyphs not specifically tagged for a locale)

> That's an overkill right ?

It's not an overkill, the complete variant of dejavu includes many
unicode blocks we have no support for in other fonts, so it's referenced
in the associated language groups (it's *not* referenced in the language
groups dejavu-lgc already covers)

I'd like Fedora to do a periodic review (at Test1 or 2) of what fonts
are installed by default, so new fonts are added and fonts superseded by
others are dropped. Big font lists are very user-unfriendly, especially
when they stuffed with fonts only a few locales use (ie block-specific
fonts as opposed to pan-unicode ones)

--
Nicolas Mailhot