ibus-hangul bugs

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 02:09:45 UTC 2009

On 04/09/2009 09:53 PM, Choe Hwanjin wrote:
>>> I think it isn't acceptable for most users.
>> Would it be wrong for ibus-hangul to begin in Hangul mode?  That seems very
>> reasonable?
>
> It's possible, but I think it is not a solution.
> Even if ibus-hangul begin in hangul mode, users should still press
> ctrl-space to
> input hangul and then user should press right-alt to change input mode, which
> don't have consistency.

Note: The medium-term plan is to get rid of global hotkey defaults.
This means Ctrl-space is only a global trigger for languages like
Chinese and Indic.  Hankaku, Alt-Hankaku or Alt-` are triggers for
Japanese.  Hangul or right-Alt are triggers for Korean.

For now we decided we are out of time for Fedora 11, so we will ship
with all the above triggers enabled as globals.  This is not ideal.  We
will improve this further after Fedora 11 after some design discussions.

>> I agree it should be configurable, but we need a compromise with expected
>> defaults for the Fedora 11 development deadline in less than a week.
>
> But current ibus' default lookup table orientation is horizontal not vertical.
> And ibus-hangul can't change its value.
> If we change the key mapping, it doesn't match the horizontal lookup table.
> Is it acceptable?
>
> I think that current ibus lookup table orientation is horizontal,
> therefore key mapping for
> lookup table should follow the orientation.

I'm surprised, but phuang made the new ibus default vertical.  It seems
after Fedora 11 we will have vertical/horizontal decided by the language
engine.

> it  is easy to make right-ctrl as Hanja conversion key.
> But it needs some time to add english mode in ibus-hangul.
> I don't have time to do it now.
> And basically I don't agree to add english mode in every language engine.
>
> And Shift-Space is mostly used trigger key in korean linux desktop.
> So I think shift-space is enough for now.

As noted above, we delayed implementing these proposed changes.  In the
short-term the only remaining changes we need are the two patches for
right-Ctrl and proper arrow key behavior with vertical Hanja candidate
selection.

In the long-term we need further discussion about the Big Picture plan
forward.  I will CC you with future summaries as we discuss this plan.

Thank you,
Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com