Clarification on the terminology for input...

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri May 29 06:26:03 UTC 2009

> 1. What do you call iBus, or SCIM or IIIMF?
> A) Input Method
> B) Input System
> C) Input Engine
> D) Input Method Engine
> E) or something else

I guess I call it an input method system.

> 2. What do you call im-chooser?

Well I think it is an input method configuration tool.

> 3. What do you call Phonetic, Inscript, iTrans, Anthy, etc?
> A) Keyboard Map
> B) Keyboard Layout
> C) or something else

Well for the Indic maps I would call them input maps (for the m17n engine).
Anthy is an input method engine (IME).

> If we can standardize these
> terminologies first and document it somewhere on the fedora i18n
> pages,
> there would be ease of communication while discussing the i18n input
> issues.

Yes it would be good to document on the wiki.

I added some initial text on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/I18N/InputMethods#Terminology
Maybe others can review and offer comments and clarification.

Thanks for your questions.

Jens