[Fedora-ia64-list] Re: [Fedora-xen] Re: Four ways RH could help with xen-ia64

Aron Griffis aron at hp.com
Tue Jul 25 16:07:46 UTC 2006

Juan Quintela wrote:  [Sat Jul 22 2006, 10:33:50AM EDT]
> > 1. Publish Juan's tree which is the result of his merge of
> >    linux-2.6.tip-xen, linux-2.6 and linux-2.6-xen.  How about
> >    http://people.redhat.com/quintela/linux-2.6.tip-xen-fedora.hg?
> >    As things stand right now, it's very difficult for ia64 devs to
> >    contribute to Juan's patch, for 2 reasons: (1) we never see it
> >    until after a new kernel rpm is published, (2) all we get is the
> >    final result, lacking the extremely helpful changeset history.
>
> It is based on 2.6.18-rc2.  It is on:
>
> http://hg.et.redhat.com/kernel/linux-2.6-xen-fedora

Thanks Juan, this is a huge help.

> > 2. Use matched xenlinux/hypervisor pairs.  At the OLS Xen mini-summit
> >    there was some discussion of compatibility.  The statements were:
>
> Believe me that we _try_, and very hard.

Thanks, that is good to know.  Until now I hadn't heard a statement
from RH regarding that.

I posted a message a while back containing a method for absolutely
matching the hypervisor to the kernel patch:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2006-July/msg00024.html

Is that approximately what you're doing now?

> > 	- old domU should run on new hypervisor
>
> Agreed.  I normally test plain fc5 domU on all my new kernels.
>
> > 	- new domU NOT guaranteed to run on old hypervisor
>
> We have found that lately this "normally" works, versus bugs.

I'm sorry, your response confuses me here.  :-(

Just to be clear: These three bullet points I posted are the stated
goals of Xen upstream.  Fedora should assume that a new domU will NOT
run on an old hypervisor, regardless of empirical evidence...

> > 	- dom0 and hypervisor should be MATCHED
>
> Guess why HV on fedora is on the same package that the kernel, and they
> have indeed the same version number?

:-)

Thanks,
Aron