[Fedora-ia64-list] 2.6.17-1.2630 failed to boot on HP cx2600

Doug Chapman dchapman at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 14:46:27 UTC 2006

Yanmin,

I am not all that familiar with the cx series but I have been told they
are essentially the same as the rx systems.  My guess is you are passing
console=ttyS0 to the kernel at boot time.  Under RHEL4 this was
appropriate as the console lines were numbered differently.  Under the
recent kernels (anything after 2.6.10) the console line might NOT be
ttyS0 anymore.  However, the kernel has the ability to determine what
the console should be on its own so you should not pass any console=
line to the kernel (except in very special circumstances).

However, to ensure the console output goes to the right place make sure
that you only have 1 destination for output and error in EFI.  You will
find this in the efi menu under boot configuration.

If all of the above fails to fix your problem I suggest making sure you
have the latest firmware installed on the system.  (actually I suggest
making sure you have latest firmware even if it DOES work properly).

- Doug