[Fedora-ia64-list] rawhide finally working again

Émeric Maschino emeric.maschino at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 08:43:46 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I finally succeeded in installing a fresh Fedora system last night. Beware
however that FTP installation is completely broken:
/usr/lib/anaconda/urlinstall.py builds malformed URL due to the following
instruction:

if scheme=="ftp" and path and path.startswitch("//"):
      path="/%2F"+path[1:]

An extra %2F string is inserted between the FTP site and the path, leading
to incorrect URL in the form:

ftp://ftpsite/%2F/path/package.rpm

Hence my problems with the installation process the past few days (error
message stating that the file cannot be opened because it was either missing
or corrupted). No problem with HTTP install. Has this problem already been
reported?

Now, the bad news: the system is still unbootable. I'm getting:

VFS: Cannot open root device "VolGroup00/LogVol00" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

Looking closely at my EFI partition, I've noticed that there's no initrd
file at all. Futhermore, elilo.conf only contains the following lines:

image=vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2917.fc7
      label=linux
      read-only
      root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
      append="rhgb quiet"

As you can see, there's no mention of an initrd option. I'll try to manually
create once at home this night.

Cheers,

      Emeric