[Fedora-ia64-list] Change in Fedora-ia64 leadership

Doug Chapman doug.chapman at hp.com
Thu Jan 24 17:43:48 UTC 2008

To the Fedora-ia64 community:

As many of you have probably noticed I have been taking a much
more active role in the Fedora-ia64 project over the last few
months.  Prarit decided a while back that with he and his wife
expecting their first child soon that he would need to decrease
the amount of time spent on Fedora.  With the baby expected to
arrive in late February we decided that I would take over
leadership of the Fedora-ia64 project at the end of January.

Prarit's son however decided he could not wait another 5 weeks
to be born.  Prarit's wife gave birth to an early but otherwise
healthy baby boy on Friday.

Effective immediately I will be taking over leadership of the
Fedora ia64 project.  I want to thank Prarit for all the work
he has done to get us this far.  Much of Prarit's hard work
was behind the scenes not visible to the list.  Without his
efforts there would be no fedora bits for ia64.

About myself:
For those who do not know me I am an employee of HP working
specifically on our "Integrity" line of ia64 servers.  You
might notice I sometimes send mail from a redhat.com email
account which confuses some people.  For the past 2+ years
I have been HP's on-site engineer at Red Hat for our ia64
products.  Prior to that I have worked various UNIX related
jobs in DEC, then Compaq, then HP (all via mergers).  The
majority of my experience has been with QA, test development
and bug triage work.  Over the past year or so I have become
much more active in Linux kernel development and that is my
primary role now for my RHEL work which will continue along
with my new additional Fedora role.

I feel we are very close to the day when ia64 on Fedora is
nearly on par with x86.  My primary goal and schedule driver
as an HP employee is to get issues resolved in Fedora in
preparation for the eventual release of RHEL6.  I do feel
however that this goes hand in hand with a Fedora for ia64
that is usable full featured, and completely free.  While
my job title has only said "Linux engineer" for about 2 1/2
years now I have been an avid Linux user and enthusiast for
about 15 years now (since kernel version 0.99<something> for
those of you who prefer to measure time that way).

If any of you are going to be at LCA next week it would be
great to meet you in person.

- Doug Chapman