[Fedora-ia64-list] ia64 nfs install error

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Sep 7 20:38:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Doug Chapman wrote:

>>> Let us know if you run into any other issue.
>>
>> I did actually. I ended up using the 5 cdroms. The installer added a
>> "Fedora" boot entry, but the system could not boot from it. Looking at
>> the previously working debian boot entry that was left from a previous
>> install, the entry seemed to be missing a second line with the elilo
>> -F parameters on it. But I was not sure how to edit the Fedora entry
>> to fix it, as I don't have much experience with the EFI bootloader yet.
>
> I am not sure what this -F thing is.  I doubt that is the issue.

The real problem is:

md: Scanned 0 and added 0 devices.

VFS: Cannot open root device "VolGroup00/LogVol00" or unknown-block(0,0)

>> I am not at the ia64 machine right now, so I'll try to give you a better
>> error message.  It looked to me like the kernel booted without a ramdisk
>> and therefor could not mount the root fs and paniced.
>
> Does the system have a serial console?  If so can you capture the entire
> boot log?  It would be most helpful if you could add "debug" to the
> kernel command line args so we get everything.

I added "debug", and though the machine has a serial port, I was not
able to get any data out of it (perhaps a null vs serial cable issue)
The VGA logs too fast to see whether it can find the scsi disks.

I think it is not loading the ramdisk and therefor cannot find any
disks. When i boot the cdrom in rescue mode, it shows me that it is
for /boot, /boot/efi and the root via /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00.

> What model of system are you running on?  Also what type of storage are
> you installing to?

It is an "HP workstation zx9000" with two scsi disks striped with mdraid
to be one big partition (using the 'default' partition layout scheme from
the install)

My kernel does appear in /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/, but no ramdisk image is
available. Using the rescue cdrom, i chroot'ed into the installed image,
and ran mkinitrd and updated elilo.conf by adding the initrd= line.

Then it loaded the initrd, abd Red Hat nash booted, but I got an error:

FATAL: Error inserting ext3 (/lib/modules/2.6.25-14.fc9.ia64/ext3.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown paramter (see dmesg)

And a similar error for mptspi.ko.

Then it tried to rad all volumes, and said:

  No volume groups found
  Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'

Since I generated the initrd from the installed kernel modules, I am not
sure why the modules have unknown symbols....

Paul

Paul