[Fedora-ia64-list] is there an F10 for ia64?

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Feb 11 06:48:22 UTC 2009

Dave Bowman wrote:
> I have been using F9 on ia64 for a while but I have not seen anything
> regarding F10 (or F11 for that matter).  Is Fedora still being built on
> ia64?
>
> I have been playing around with "mock" to build packages and was considering
> trying to build a more recent Fedora myself.  Anybody tried this?
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

Same question was raised back in December, without a reply ... and all
communication on this list has been dead since. See archive.

Take a guess ...

Ubuntu didn't release on IA64 this last cycle either, lacking a usable
kernel for the platform, and incentive as I was told there are almost no
users of their previous IA64 release. FreeBSD is struggling to complete
their IA64 port. There are endless IA64 machines selling for nothing on
Ebay, as evidenced by the $175 "HP Integrity rx2600 Itanium 2 DUAL
1.5GHz 10GB Server" lots getting one bid, or failing to sell.

Intel doesn't seem to have delivered enough staff/money to support the
project in their partnership with HP. Discussions with Fedora management
a couple releases back didn't seem to yield results toward stable and
supported IA64 Fedora Releases.

So, unless there is a grass roots effort that is better motivated, it
appears Fedora on IA64 is probably dead too. Given the firesale of IA64
gear on eBay, there appear to be some other former high end IA64 shops
that see the handwriting on the wall. That's probably good for hobby and
small business users, looking for cheap powerful gear, assuming there is
some software path.

There are some notes in the archives about building the distribution
several releases back. If you get the release built, I'll be happy to
help you test.

John

        * /From/: Bettoni Fabio <fabio bettoni telecomitalia it>
        * /To/: "fedora-ia64-list redhat com" <fedora-ia64-list redhat com>
        * /Subject/: [Fedora-ia64-list] What's Fedora-ia64 status ?
        * /Date/: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:09:12 +0100

    Hi to all,

    what's happened to my preferred distro on ia64 ?

    It's a long time updates are not available and F10.ia64 release is
    not available.

    Fabio