[Fedora-ia64-list] is there an F10 for ia64?

Dave Bowman ia64dave at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 15:05:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:48 AM, John L. Bass <jbass at dmsd.com> wrote:

> Dave Bowman wrote:
> > I have been using F9 on ia64 for a while but I have not seen anything
> > regarding F10 (or F11 for that matter).  Is Fedora still being built on
> > ia64?
> >
> > I have been playing around with "mock" to build packages and was
> considering
> > trying to build a more recent Fedora myself.  Anybody tried this?
> >
> > Dave
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Same question was raised back in December, without a reply ... and all
> communication on this list has been dead since. See archive.
>
> Take a guess ...
>
> Ubuntu didn't release on IA64 this last cycle either, lacking a usable
> kernel for the platform, and incentive as I was told there are almost no
> users of their previous IA64 release. FreeBSD is struggling to complete
> their IA64 port. There are endless IA64 machines selling for nothing on
> Ebay, as evidenced by the $175 "HP Integrity rx2600 Itanium 2 DUAL
> 1.5GHz 10GB Server" lots getting one bid, or failing to sell.

 I wouldn't think that rx2600's being liquidated (and not selling) is a sign
that ia64 is dying.  These are pretty old, we got rid of all systems of that
generation a couple years ago.  Currently all of our systems are the newer
dual-core dual-thread ia64 systems (execept a couple but they are BIG).
These are a dramatic jump in performance over the old rx2600's and similar
models from that generation.

Dave