[Fedora-ia64-list] is there an F10 for ia64?

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Feb 11 18:00:59 UTC 2009

Dave Bowman wrote:

>  I wouldn't think that rx2600's being liquidated (and not selling) is a sign
> that ia64 is dying.  These are pretty old, we got rid of all systems of that
> generation a couple years ago.  Currently all of our systems are the newer
> dual-core dual-thread ia64 systems (execept a couple but they are BIG).
> These are a dramatic jump in performance over the old rx2600's and similar
> models from that generation.
>
> Dave

You are right ... depending on working set and memory foot print, the
new large cache dual core processors can be a dramatic improvement.

What's disturbing, is that on a cost per performance basis, this used
equipment is not selling for even a penny or two on the dollar for
equivalent performance. A reasonable IA64 market demand would hold the
dollar value of a previous generation to a cost/performance level of at
least 50% of the current generation.

I've been more concerned that since Yi left Intel in August, there has
been less visible progress on IA64 Fedora. Both the F10 Beta and general
release were missed, since he handed things over to Xibin. Plus that
neither Xibin, Doug or Prarit responded to Fabio December.

It would have been much more reassuring to have seen a clean F10 release
by now, followed by regular F10 updates, as indication that this project
is finally on schedule. Ditto for IA64 Fedora 11 alpha release missed
last week. Yi was concerned about missing F10 alpha ... I'm concerned
that the project failed to deliver F9 updates and four consecutive
Fedora 10 and 11 release milestones now. I really question Intel's
commitment at this point.

John