[Fedora-ia64-list] cleaning up kernel modules for ia64

Doug Chapman doug.chapman at hp.com
Wed May 6 18:27:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 12:12 -0600, John L. Bass wrote:
> Jim McCarthy wrote:
> > There are significant number of ia64-based HP zx2000 and zx6000 workstations
> > still in use, so if possible to retain soundcard support (without violating
> > EFI limits on kernel size) for users who may have installed a soundcard in
> > one of the available PCI slots in those (or similar non-HP) machines, I
> > would recommend this minor change to the list below.  Unless of course it's
> > a deal-breaker.
> >
> >     -- Jim
> >
> Any driver that can be loaded as a module can still be used after the
> install. Isn't the real problem, which drivers are needed by the installer?
> It's not clear that sound is necessary to install.

Plan "A" is to remove what is never likely to get used at all from the
kernel config file.  This makes the kernel package smaller and hence
will make the installer's initrd smaller fixing the issue.

Plan "B" is to modify the tools that build the installers initrd to
remove anything that just isn't needed during install.

I would prefer to just stick with plan "A" if possible but if we still
need to clean up more space we will continue on with "B".

- Doug