Why would anyone like to have a Fedora Mirror ?

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 05:14:38 UTC 2008

>  I have been trying to talk to NIXI about hosting Linux mirrors in
>  India. Working through the babudom is taking a lot of time, though.
>
>  Meanwhile, I host Fedora mirrors on a few servers I maintain here and
>  there. None of these have more than 2Mbps connectivity, which might
>  not be great, but is still good by India standards. Would it be useful
>  to have these added to the official Fedora Mirror list?

That will be too nice. :)

>We have no
>  connection limits or other such jazz. We just prioritise the SMTP and
>  IMAP traffic on these servers over the FTP traffic, so no one in
>  management complains about the mirror traffic.

Once you are listed, you will need to have that restriction!!!
Otherwise you won't be able to open even a single web page, let alone
SMTP. (You will find it out yourself. You need not believe me :))
We generally get ~65000 hits a day and over 35 Gbs of transfer even with the
restriction. ;)

Still if we have many mirrors, we can overcome this problem as the
load will be shared.

--
Regards,
Susmit.