Fedora Indian Language Spins

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 28 16:59:43 UTC 2008

Hi

I have created Indian language spins for all the supported Indian
languages. If you are familiar with the concept of spins, refer
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CustomSpins

They contain localized version of GNOME, Firefox, Openoffice.org and
other basic desktop applications and auto logins into the different
Indian languages by default. They are CD size for x86 arch.

Kickstart files are available for the following Indian languages:

http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-assamese.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-bengali.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-gujarati.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-hindi.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-kannada.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-malayalam.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-marathi.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-oriya.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-punjabi.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-tamil.ks
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-telugu.ks

I am discussing with release engineering and Fedora board about hosting
them in http://spins.fedoraproject.org. You can create a local language
spin by using the following commands in Fedora 8. I strongly suggest
using a local mirror if possible

In Fedora 8,

# yum install livecd-tools
# mkdir -p /var/tmp/yum-cache
# cd /usr/share/livecd-tools
# wget
http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-base-desktop-localized.ks
# wget http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-desktop-<locale>.ks
# livecd-creator --config=livecd-fedora-8-desktop-<locale>.ks
--fslabel=fedora-<locale> --cache=/var/tmp

Instead of burning the image, you can boot in a virtual machine or copy
it over to a USB key.

# livecd-iso-to-disk <foo>.iso /dev/s<xx>n

Feel free to forward it to your local lug or anyone interested in Indian
language computing. Any feedback is most welcome.

Rahul