[fedora-india] Mirroring Fedora

Sat Aug 29 01:15:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Kevin
Verma<kevinverma at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I'll appreciate if someone can take up a project to make
> new-mirror-setups more seamless for new takers of private/public
> mirrors. Perhaps few interactive scripts, cron configurations, sync
> scripts in a RPM, or if there is one existing already then I'll love
> to know about it.

Susmit did demonstrate a "mirror-on-a-box" concept around a year back
with rudimentary scripts setting up a mirror. A larger requirement for
the mirror is the base set of bits, beyond that it is rsync,
mirror-manager and, talking with the Infrastructure folks. The
important requirement is having the will to maintain it for atomicity.

> Hopefully that work will also help to convince ISPs in country to
> setup mirrors (or at-least Intelligent Mirror) within their network
> for their Internet services users. At the Fedora 12 test day I
> realized that to increase userbase and QA contribution from within
> India, its first of all important for us to increase the number of
> mirrors.

To increase the QA contribution, we need more people doing QA on
existing release, honing their skills and, moving to rawhide. It is a
fact of life that contributing to QA on rawhide requires at least
another machine (to be able to have a single sane and, a single broken
box) - most students will not be having that. On the other hand, they
do have computers in their labs and, figuring out a way to have QA jam
sessions would help them appreciate and, learn about the OS bits
better. I have always had hopes that the college installation fests
would progress to some QA activities too - sadly, all of them seem to
be very content doing nothing more than installations.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>