[fedora-india] FOSS.IN 2009 retrospective

Rakesh Pandit rakesh.pandit at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 11:37:30 UTC 2009

2009/12/13 Aanjhan R wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:51 AM, steve <steve at lonetwin.net> wrote:
>> As a packager, one of the biggest turn-offs for me used to be the
>> turn-around time for the reviews. I've submitted my first package for review
>> in F9 (or early F10), i think, but got my first one accepted sometime in the
>> late F10 cycle. However, once i accepted the delays, it became easier for me
>> to just submit and wait for a review.
>
> Now this IMO is true and important to be taken care of. Because every
> human being likes to see his / her contribution right there, accepted
> and feel excited about it. Especially the first contributions.

[..]

As Rahul pointed this is a _general_ problem. And reasons are a) big
queue b) need of sponsor c) time taken by reporter to show how much of
guideline understanding s/he has.

> I remember Sankarshan or Sayamindu asking for a app to be packaged and
> in a couple of days the packaging was done and submitted for review.
> *This* is fantastic response. Why not the same for "Reviews of First
> time packagers". Why not somewhere in that Fedora-India wiki page put
[..]

Because the process for new contributors is different then usual.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/HowToGetSponsored

Link wouldn't work because of outage.

> up a note asking people to send out an email to this list requesting
> package review? Or during those fedora activity days, the mentors can
> sit and review packages of new contributors and right away upload it?
> Or have a mentor for a new contributor (I am sure this this is in
> place already) and that mentor accountable for quick reviewing of the
> very first packages or contributions ?
>
> There has to be some priority queuing for reviewing packages that are
> being uploaded by new contributors?

[..]

If I remember last review sig meeting I attended this has been taken
care by *few* sponsors who are very active in reviewing new requests.
But that meeting was held ages ago. After that meet fisco dropped the
bar for getting sponsored, but waiting time is surely a problem. The
only way to expedite it is in hands of new submitter: do some more
work ... and make noise. Moreover reviewing is very critical work +
grunt work, getting more sponsors attracted towards this process could
be seen as other way of reducing the time gap for everyone. If you can
think of ways of doing it ?.. raise the issue in fedora devel .. and
move on the discussion. I would suggest go and participate in review
sig.

--
Rakesh Pandit
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rakesh