[fedora-india] Fwd: Hello sir...

steve at lonetwin.net steve at lonetwin.net
Thu Feb 12 12:28:32 UTC 2009

Hello Anantha,

(kushal, is Anantha on this list ? If not, ask him to join)

> Sir i you at NIE,MYSORE,KARNATAKA
> Sir i doing project to construct DOWNLODING MANAGER which is given by
> college linux camous club.

Cool, that's nice.

> ->The feature is it should download files from given URL at given time
> ->IT SHOULD WORK WHEN SYSTEM IS IN SLEEPING MODE.

Before going any further, I should mention that typing out in ALL CAPS
when writing a mail, is considered as equivalent to shouting. So,
unless you really do want to appear angry, you should /not/ use ALL
CAPS.

Now, about your project. Firstly, you need to be more specific about
your requirements. For example what exactly do you mean by ...

> ->The feature is it should download files from given URL at given time
Does that mean, you should be able to schedule downloads ? So, is the
download manager, something to just manage and schedule downloads and
some other external program would actually do the download ?

Also, about this requirement ...
> ->IT SHOULD WORK WHEN SYSTEM IS IN SLEEPING MODE.

What do you mean by "sleeping mode", if you mean the 'sleep' or
'standby' mode as windows calls it (or the suspend mode as linux calls
it), AFAIK, doing this is not possible (at least not in the
traditional sense of 'sleep'), because, 'sleeping' is a device
specific thing. So, in standby, all devices, incuding the hard disk,
network card and cpu power down (ie: the CPU stops executing
instructions, the hard disk spins down and the network card stops
raising interrupts). Before expalining more, there is something else
you should know ...

> To this i preffered APMSLEEP

AMP is an old implimentation of power management. AMP has been
replaced by ACPI. Learn more about APCI and sleep modes (ie: S-states)
beginning here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_mode

> what i can do for this ?
> My system supports acpi
> IS any support in fedora 10 or other versions
Since ACPI replaces the old APM implementation and your system
presumably supports ACPI, you shouldn't need to do anything.

To test if suspend and resume works well on your system, from the
panel, go to 'System-> Shutdown -> Suspend' and check whether that works
(or from the command line: pm-suspend).

Switching the system back on should return you to the desktop with all
the state preserved.

So, to summarize:
a. understand what are the limitations
b. define your problem more clearly