[fedora-india] Finally prepared the offline repo for the Install Fest at Kalyani Govt. College

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:55:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 00:46 +0530, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> Hi,
> First time when I created a 600 MB repo for Fedora 10 during the
> Install Fest at BCREC on 30 Jan 2009, funny as it might sound, I did
> quite absurd things and it took me a lot of time ( 2 days). I then
> installed F10 in VBox, and was trying to install the packages to see
> their dependencies, then download them manually. What a time!
>
> But, now what I did was
> yum resolvedep <package-name>
> Then either install them keeping the yum cache on
> or,
> yumdownloader <package-names>
>
> I also added the the Packages from the F10 Install DVD, so that there
> is no Dependency failure if one does an installation selecting the
> default packages only. Also this time I included the KDE 4.2 update,
> and it is better to do a
> yum groupinstall kde-desktop
> for that.
> To enable group install in your repo, copy the comps-f10.xml file from
> /var/cache/yum/updates/comps-f10.xml
> to your repo folder, then create repo in the following way-------
> createrepo -g comps-f10.xml /path/to/repo_folder/
>
> Now all you need is a .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ which has the
> information on the baseurl for offline installation.
> The present size of my repo is approx. 3.6 GB. It works nicely.
> The repo can be on any media ( from internal disks to USB flash drives
> and DVDs). You can mount the repo folder to /var/ftp/pub/ in case you
> are using an FTP server.
>
> Thank you
> Regards,
> Ratnadeep Debnath
> DGPLUG
> ratnadeepdebnath.wordpress.com

hi,

I did pretty much the same thing.. I did have one confusion though, the
repo i made also had updates (a lot of them), how would i know which
files from the DVD neednt be put into the repo since their updates are
already present?

Im going to be making a repo with the Unity spin as a base system. Will
be easier (less updates).

Thanks for the other info,

regards,

Ankur