[fedora-india] Re: [Ambassadors] Fedora Certificate Projects

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Abhradip Mukherjee
<abhradipmukherjee gmail com> wrote:
> This is Abhradip Mukherjee. Here in India (West Bengal) we have a strong
> base. There are several students ready to jump into development fields. They
> want to contribute and work for fedoraproject and GNU/Linux development at
> large. I am thinking of starting a  fedora project to start certification
> projects for such students. That will boost the movement a lot and will
> encourage potential students to not only use free software but also develop
> it.
I don't think certificates are any good to attract students who
will/"want to" become contributors. Looking someone's own name in the
project's website or in the Author's page gives much more confidence
and "feel good" attitude than any certificate. All the developers we
know , we know by their work, not by looking into some certificate.
I know personally how the students run behind a printed copy of
certificate, but bringing the same attitude into FOSS development is
not going to help us.

Also CCing Fedora India list.

Kushal
--