[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Infrastructure Package Management

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 25 00:05:58 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 16:48 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 19:40 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > 2. are the newer versions of those packages in fc5 not workable for us?
> > >
> > Some things like python had major version upgrades between fc3 and fc5.
> > At minimum, we would have to rebuild the fc5 packages on fc3 to account
> > for this.  Some fc5 packages won't function with the older version at
> > all (such as bzr).
>
> true. But the first thing to get a handle on is what we need to be
> taking care of.
>

> > > 3. If fedora extras cvs started making it possible for us to build and
> > > release RHEL/Centos 4 packages is anyone interested in helping maintain
> > > a branch for that distro?
> > >
> > I can help maintain a branch for things we're working with in
> > infrastructure.  I don't run RHEL or Centos here, though.
>
> we have configs for mock for centos.
>
> So you can easily build the package in there. I build some almost
> everyday.
>

> -sv

I'll go ahead and ask the question.  If I proposed a Fedora Project
called Fedora Enterprise or Fedora Enterprise Extras who here would
help me maintain it?

We could then merge Z00dax's current infrastructure and work with some
of Fedora's stuff.  With quaid's help we might get some support/buy-in
from inside Red Hat.  Operating completely independently of Extras or
with them.  Perhaps one of the branch requests could be "RHEL4" or
"FEE4".  (I'm not sure about how RH would feel about Fedora producing
RH branded packages).  We can open it up to extras maintainers and
follow the same lifecycle of whatever branch we're creating.  I'd be
happy to write up some guidelines do the administrative tasks and all
the overhead that would come along with a project like this.  I'm not
kidding myself, this is a lot of work but, IMHO, I think there's a
real market out there not just inside of the FP Infrastructure.

Ball of worms?  Crazy Idea?  Yeah, but its so crazy it just might
work.  Especially if we can leverage the knowledge and people we
already have.

Seth, I'm going to do an audit of the packages we're currently using
or want to use and send them to the list tonight.

                 -Mike