Web server torturing

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Thu Dec 7 08:33:35 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 21:07 -0600, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 18:02 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
>>> Before we get started I'm hoping to get
>>> cacti set up for a good baseline.
>>
>> Not to denigrate Cacti but you might want to take a look at
>> Zabbix... It
>> was recently included in FE (I did the review).  It's a little bit
>> trickier to set up but the polling is done using a server & agent
>> written in C, as opposed to Cacti which is largely PHP.  I've been
>> working on a Zabbix install at work and I poll a number of variables
>> every 5 sec.
>
> cacti in php doesn't matter. It's the snmp interface in cacti which
> does
> the tricks and that's all done using snmp libs. It also has the
> advantage of just being another use of snmp instead of being it's own
> whole thing.

ZABBIX also uses the snmp-libs for the optional SNMP agents. I use
ZABBIX to monitor all of my servers and it suits me pretty nicely.
The ZABBIX web frontend is in PHP, just like Cacti's. See http://
www.zabbix.com/manual/v1.1/install_requirements_software.php for more
info on the software requirements for ZABBIX.

Nils Breunese.