[Fedora-infrastructure-list] better passwords ,etc

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Sun Jul 16 02:34:27 UTC 2006

Mike McGrath wrote:
 > We'll have to find the balance.  We could go key
> kerberos crazy if we wanted to.  On the one hand we should have a
> very secure system.  On the other hand we cannot burden the
> developers.  After all thats the whole reason our team exists... to
> aid the developers.

There is definitely a balance to be struck.  Keep the systems usable
while at the same time secure.  The sysadmin's conundrum, eh?

SSH keys shouldn't be a big deal to developers though right?

As far as the web passwords, we obviously can't do away with those, that
crosses the usability line.  But maybe there needs to be a check in
place before the ssh keys are pushed across systems?  Not sure how that
check would work without adding overhead though.

In either case, finding potential pitfalls as these are part of
determining the balance.  At least knowing where the weaker points of
the system are will allow us as a group to decide the acceptabilty of
that risk.  An audit such as I suggest should help us find our weaker
spots along the way so we can at least discuss them and weigh risks
versus benefits.

The best practices portion are often times changes that few would notice
but could reduce our attack vector with no real penalty.  Take a peek a
the sshd_config on bastion sometime.  I was a little surprised.  I had
assumed that host was only accepting ssh keys.  Hardening ssh on that
machine wouldn't affect many people at all and we would still see some
potential gains from it.

> It should also be said that I've never actually worked at a place
> that would end up on Slashdot if we got hacked....  I guess there's a
> bit of pride in me that wants to make sure that if the Fedora
> infrastructure ever does get hacked that it doesn't happen on my
> watch

Agreed!!  :)

-Jeffrey