[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Backup thread

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Sat Jun 24 00:53:39 UTC 2006

Mike McGrath wrote:
 > Refer to previous meeting notes and list emails for whats been said so
 > far but here's the short list:
 >
 > bacula, amanda, rsync and scrips, rdiff-backup
 >
 > dgilmore is one of the guys leading the backup stuffbut participation
 > is
 > encouraged by everyone.  I'd like to throw backuppc in the list just
 > because I use it / like it.  It might be good for our environment.

 From what I have seen of backuppc I also agree it might be a good one
to have on the list.

 > Any thoughts / suggestions?

My main thoughts at this point would be to compose a list of our
requirements (what are we planning to backup, how much data, type of
rotation, etc).

I do agree with Mike that adding home directories to the list of what we
back up would probably be worthwhile, especially since a few people have
lost things in the past.  The native ssh support would also be a good thing.

Once we have a list of requirements the backup packages can be better
compared to see how well they meet our needs.

later,
Jeffrey