[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Re: DB Server Upgrade

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Tue Jun 27 01:54:44 UTC 2006

Curt Moore wrote:
> I also had Slony in this mix, which resulted in a few more steps.  From
> what I've read on the wiki pages regarding the current Fedora
> infrastructure setup, there is only 1 DB server, a SPOF.  It may be
> worth the time to start a separate conversation about some sort of
> replication or clustered setup, which a beast unto itself.

Correct, there is one DB server at this time (making upgrades even more
fun!).  I think a conversation about a replicated or clustered setup
would be good.  At least getting some ideas thrown out there on the table.

> Now, onto the upgrade process.
>
> *** Make a DB and filesystem backup ***
> Ensure that all necessary config files are archived so they can be
> quickly reinstalled via kickstart later
>
> 1) Setup all apps to connect to DB using a host alias in /etc/hosts
> 2) Setup another server as a temporary DB server
> 3) Temporarily disable apps hitting DB
> 4) pg_dump DBs and template0, users, groups, etc over to temp server
> 5) Test to ensure DB is up and accepting connections
> 6) Change the alias entry in /etc/hosts on hosts running apps to the
> record for the temp DB server
> 7) Re-enable apps
> 8) Re-install and configure OS on old DB server via kickstart
> 9) Temporarily disable apps hitting DB
> 10) pg_dump DBs and template0, users, groups, etc over to master server
> 11) Test to ensure master DB is up and accepting connections
> 12) Change the alias entry in /etc/hosts on servers running apps back to
> the record for the master DB server
>
> There, my 12 step program for a DB upgrade. :-)

This looks like a good start to the plan to me.  I had mentioned
possibly using one of the app servers as a temporary DB server during
the upgrade of the DB server.  People were receptive to the idea when I
mentioned it awhile back.  Some of the ugprades have been fun, so not
having to worry as much about a very tight time limit should the upgrade
of the OS go poorly can make it easier.

> During the time I disabled the apps to copy over the DB to the temp
> server, users just couldn't login to the web portal to change their
> settings, which are written to the master, for a few minutes.  I had to
> ask, would this really be an issue for 5 min at 3am CST on a Sunday
> morning? (assuming that the DBs can be copied in the span of 5 min, I
> have a VLAN'd GigE management network for this sort of thing)  The same
> downtime was experienced when I switched back over to the master DB.

The downtime for the swap to a temp server and then back to the real
server shouldn't be a major issue.  Obviously the less downtime the
better, but the little bits of downtime doing those flip-flops would be
less than just taking the DB box down completely during the upgrade.
Elliot, feel free to correct me here!  ;)

> Since I'm assuming we're upgrading from Postgres 7.x we'll definitely
> want to do a pg_dump/pg_restore since there are some inherent
> differences in the data structures on the disk.

Elliot had expressed interest at going to an 8.x version.

Thanks!
Jeffrey