[Fedora-infrastructure-list] release days docs/instructions/faq

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Tue Oct 24 21:59:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 05:09:24PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hey guys,
>  So some of you have heard that the load from today was pretty close to
> crippling for a while. We got it under 'control' for a bit but it wasn't
> happy. Mike suggested making some of our pages in the wiki static so we
> pulled them out using firefox and then put them onto the site using
> apache redirects. That worked out okay to bring the load down. We're
> still get beaten pretty badly but at least the load is manageable.
>
> Let's assume for now that the next N releases will be just like this.
> That the world will melt down. I think we should probably put together
> some docs on what steps to take. Here are some items we did today:
>
> 1. iptables rate limiting on fpserv: 2-4 new connection per ip for every
> 10-20 seconds.
>
> 2. look at the logs, figure out where all the hits are going and make
> those pages static. You can do this by using firefox to save the page
> (it grabs images and css, too)

 I think dynamic web pages are pretty overrated...

 You can use mod_cache if your web application (zope, wiki, ..)
 correctly generates pages with Etag, Last-Modified or Expires tag.
 For more information read:

 http://www.us.apachecon.com/presentations/WE18/WE18_Performance_Up.pdf

 there is nice example with MoinMoin at wiki.apache.org.

> What else should we be adding?