[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Translating owners.list to packagedb: unknown accounts

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 19:20:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 15:07 -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2006, at 12:24 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > On 9/14/06, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hey packagedb and accounts2 people,
> >>
> >> As part of filling the test packageDB with data, I'm working on a
> >> script
> >> that pulls information out of owners.list and enters it into the
> >> packageDB.  One of the problems is that I've got 631 errors where an
> >> email address in owners.list doesn't match with anyone in the current
> >> accounts system.  So I need to get a handle on how we can fix these
> >> issues both short-term and long-term.
> >>

> > Unfortunately this is a common problem.  I too fit into this category.
> > The new accounting system should probably account for a users
> > bugzilla email.  The difficulty is in verifying this and not just
> > trusing what the user says though I don't really know what damage they
> > could do.

The accounts system can query bugzilla to be sure the email address is a
valid bugzilla account.

> As long as the new account system allows for multiple email
> addresses, that should be sufficient. Perhaps down the road it will
> be useful to add an 'is_bugzilla_account' field in the table listing
> the email addresses for each account. However, even that is
> unnecessary if the applications in question have access to the list
> of all bugzilla accounts and to the new account DB.
>
> There is also the corner case to consider where people have multiple
> bugzilla accounts for their multiple e-mail addresses.

Right.  So much better to let the user specify 'is_bugzilla_account' in
the accounts system then to have each application query the list of
emails, ask bugzilla which of those are also bugzilla accounts, and then
guess which of the remaining list of email addresses the user wants
their Fedora Project bugzilla-mail to go to.

-Toshio