Email Addresses (Revisited)

So this thread kind of got forgotten about without any action. Here's where it left off.

current situation:
User signs up and gets account fp o and firstname lastname fp o

The problem:
accounts are unique but firstname.lastname is not. This causes collisions. Firstname.Lastname may (and currently does) contain characters that postfix and sendmail freak out about.

Secondary problem:
People think firstname.lastname sounds professional while accountname fp o may not.

I'd like to move forward with removing the firstname.lastname addresses after sending out a notification. Secondary issues aside, our current model can't work forever and already causes some issues.

Are there any major detractors?