Re: sponsored vs volunteers

Toshio Kuratomi (a badger gmail com) said:
> I'm usually of the opinion that more information is better as long as it
> doesn't compromise someone's privacy.  If this is optional information
> it probably wouldn't violate that principle.  I could see this kind of
> data being useful for things like:
>
> 1) Estimating how much of an investment companies besides Red Hat have
> in Fedora.

However, if it's only optional...

> 2) Having figures on community contributors to post as part of a reply
> to "Fedora is RHEL Beta".

It leaves out so many ways that people can be part of the community...

... write docs for Fedora
... do artwork for Fedora
... do testing of Fedora
... port Fedora to other platforms
... contribute patches to Fedora
... do upstream development with/on Fedora
... maintain systems for Fedora

I'm not saying that collecting these metrics, or things like Warren's
different-levels-of-packaging proposal aren't something that can be
useful. But I'd like us to think how we can somehow collect stats
that somehow encompass the entirety of someone's contributions.

Bill, off in pie-in-the-sky land