The asterisk paradox

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:03:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 11:30 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> 2)  Meetings in IRC are generally very slow, it might be worth it to do
> the meetings as normal but also have people log in to asterisk to bs and
> generally just chat, get to know each other a bit better.

Sounds good to me.  But we do need to follow "Quaid's Rule" and be sure
to keep business in IRC.

> 3) Do as we did last week, have people who can't talk join the
> conference anyway and ask questions in the chat room while having
> someone transcribe and provide minutes.

I think we need better transcription.  It's hard to summarize important
points in realtime.  It's also nice to know who's saying things.

It's also hard to have two streams of communication -- if several people
are in IRC asking questions, they're at a disadvantage in knowing what's
going on and being able to raise an issue with a specific point to
people who are discussing things on the phone.

In my case specifically, I comprehend ideas and plans better when
they're written than when they're spoken but I learn more about the
people doing the communication when it's auditory.  (I drive my wife
crazy because I never remember the lyrics of songs, only the tune and
emotional content.)

-Toshio