Intro and a question about mirroring.

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Aug 26 18:30:25 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 04:19:55PM +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
>    Hi all,
>    This is [1]Susmit here.
>    Earlier my domain was only ambassador and free media, now joining
>    infrastructure too.
>    Still a student but configuring and testing things for a few years.
>    Recently, I got access to hardware resources and bandwidth, so thought
>    about joining
>    infrastructure.
>
>    I have a question, I think this should  be the appropriate list.
>
>    What is the minimum bandwidth required to set up a fedora public mirror?
>    I am working at an university and seriously thinking of setting up a
>    mirror.

I've been telling people that 100Mbit connection (not just from the
server, but available from your bandwidth provider) is the minimum for
new mirrors.  There are a few long-established mirrors with slightly
lower capabilities, but we've also added many with 1Gbit/sec or faster
connections.  You also need about 1TB of disk space to carry a full
mirror.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring for more
details on the process.

Thanks,