Welcome new Mirror Wranglers!

Matt_Domsch at Dell.com Matt_Domsch at Dell.com
Wed Dec 12 21:02:07 UTC 2007

Thank you each for volunteering to help with managing Fedora's list of
mirror servers.  You have all been added to the email alias
'mirror-admin at fedoraproject.org', which is how you are getting this
email.

First, please send me your Fedora Account System username, as presumably
the email address stored in the FAS for you is where you want these
mails to go.

Second, I recommend you subscribe to the relatively low volume
fedora-infrastructure-list at redhat.com , which is where all the
interesting Infrastructure discussion happens.
This includes outage notices, freeze changes, and the like.

Third, we are always happy to have more mirrors, provided they have
sufficient capacity to really be of benefit.  In the US and Europe, we
don't really need more mirrors.  Rest of the world, we definitely do.
Requests will come to the mirror-admin at fedoraproject.org address, and
will need a response.  Be sure to "reply to all".  I'll append my
template.  Be sure to copy ftp+fedora at redhat.com and mirror-admin on
your reply, so everyone sees it, and so the rsync ACL on the master
download servers will get updated.   Rule of thumb: new mirrors with >=
1Gbit pipes, or in countries not already well-served (such as India,
China, or anything in South America or South Africa) should be approved.
Mirrors on DSL/Cable modem lines in the US or Europe, thanks, but no.
Private mirrors should be directed to pull from a listed public mirror.
When approved, you should then approve their subscriptions to
mirror-list and mirror-list-d.  There's a password required to moderate
that list.  Not sure how best to handle that aspect...

Fourth, the MirrorManager code itself.
https://fedorahosted.org/mirrormanager/wiki/WikiStart has instructions,
and a list of items known needing love is at
https://fedorahosted.org/mirrormanager/wiki/HelpWanted.  I cut my python
teeth writing this code, and it's had a few reviews, but there are
probably ways to make it better.  The TG controller pieces are really
pretty hokey - nothing as nice as the bodhi code is.

If you've got other ideas, by all means, please let us know.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Public Mirror Acceptance Template

We would be pleased to have you as a public mirror. Thank you for your
contribution to Fedora!

Please see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring
for guidance, and register your mirror in Mirrormanager at
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager.  By doing so, you will
appear on the mirror list for Fedora 7 and future automatically.

Most mirrors should rsync from one of the Tier 1 mirrors listed at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring or from another
mirror close network-wise listed on
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/.

Thanks again,