Jigdo - A Professional Letter to Mike McGrath

Francois Petillon fantec at proxad.net
Mon Dec 17 16:26:46 UTC 2007

Jonathan Steffan wrote:
> So, you are against deltarpms also then?

The problem is not being for / against anything. Deltarpms may be
interesting for low-bandwidth client that would keep all downloaded
rpms. But it would be a IO waste for servers if users have to download
several files to rebuild the final ISO.

I was just trying to remind the choices you make may change servers
efficiency (and as all mirrors do not have the same issues, it would be
difficult to please everyone).

> The access time for the data being served as a Jigdo would be the same
> as anyone using yum against your mirror source.

Yes. But it would be more IO costy than downloading an ISO if you have
to download most of the packages to build the ISO.

 > Also, in most cases download requests would be spread across multiple
 > sources...

At the server level (and as long as you do not speak about parallelizing
downloads), there won't be much difference (you will still have to
manage n% of the downloads/connections).

François