Infrastructure Design - Look & Feel

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Feb 16 02:31:44 UTC 2007

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :)
>
> - Is the main Fedora Project wiki up for redesign as well? I think it
> could use a little tweaking.

Yes, I think Karsten Wade is a better contact for the wiki.
Its a proxy pass to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/IndexAdmin (we cheated)
> - I have an account at hosted.fedoraproject.org now so I'm somewhat
> familiar with it. Could the look & feel of this involve themeing trac?
> Are there any other applications on hosted? (I think there might be
> cvsweb on there?)

Absolutely, this could use a Fedora look and feel and could ultimately
be very popular.  Its still in beta.
> - What is packagedb used for? Who uses it? How often is it used for what
> tasks? How public-facing / important / high on the priority-queue is it?
Will be public facing, its still in beta but has a release of F7.
> - Could I get added to some kind of sample/test ticket queue in ORTS so
> I can play around with the UI on it?
We chould talk about OTRS in another thread and about its future and if
we should continue to use it.
> - Same thing with the mirror system; is there anyway I could get access
> to it?
Matt Domsch is a good contact here, Matt is this in CVS anywhere?
> - Voting system - where is this right now? How often is it used / what
> kind of votes is it used for / who uses it?
Its rarely used but important when it is used.  Its used by our
community to vote new people into groups.
> - What kinds of information are smolt, nagios, and cacti used for? Who
> uses them? How often are they used? What are the particular uses /
> strengths / weaknesses of each for Fedora infrastructure team puurposes?
Smolt is a hardware profiler and has a homepage on
hosted.fedoraproject.org.  Nagios and cacti are more for internal use so
those can be on the back burner but a css would be nice :-D
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/smolt
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi
> - Koji - is this up and available? Can I get access to it?
This isn't up externally yet but it is up internally, one of the
engineers can point you to it.
> I'll write up all the answers + some of the information I have about the
> Fedora accounts system from talking to Mike about it and add it to the
> wiki too; this kind of information is very useful in making design
> decisions.
If we can get the account system locked down that would be wonderful.

> Thanks,
> ~m
No, thank you.  Seriously.

    -Mike