Yum deltarpm

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 17:39:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 09:53 +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Appreciating everyone's help, it seems others have attempted this
> before. Anyway, let's put this through the test of time :) Also, I
> totally agree with keeping drpms only if they meet certain criteria,
> i.e. provide >50% savings or similar.
>
> Right now, I am trying to figure out how/where the server side will
> store the drpm metadata. Other.xml.gz seems like a good place, or
> maybe a new drpm.xml.gz, but I am not sure how such file should be
> written.

I seem to recall that primary.xml.gz can list arbitrary xml files which
the depsolvers will ignore if they don't need them but Seth would know
better.

>  Should I just write code that will generate drpms, and that xml
> metadata file too ?
That would probably work but you might want to break the steps into two
parts.  Just remember to think about how the drpms are getting to the
repo.  Are you going to do the updates on a separate machine and then
push them over?  Are you going to push the new drpms onto the server,
regenerate the metadata, then push the new metadata over?

>  Must the xml file be written according to a specific form, I only
> need to attach a hash to each drpm, which the clients will use to know
> whether using the drpm will be successful.

Are you writing this from scratch?  If it's using the yum plugin that
already exists it might be expecting the metadata in a specific format
already.

-Toshio