Nagios and notification

I'm moving our production nagios install onto its own machine with cacti (noc1) We've had a few false positives because lockbox is just too busy with other things. In the process of this move I was wondering how we should do nagios notifications. I see two options:

1) Create a nagios group for just generic all notifications
2) make admins add themselves about what to be notified about
3) Auto add people in a group to the notifications list and make them customize if necessary.

Prior to the move to noc1.  We used 3).

Opinions?